History: Taiwanese cuisine is strongly influenced by food rooted in mainland China, Fujian province and also bu=y the cuisines of Fuzhou, Chaozhou and Guangdong. During Taiwan's half century of Japanese colonial rule, Japanese style cooking techniques also began to colour Taiwanese food. Such as Japanese fried prawns and raw fish are also Taiwanese specialties.
(A country of fish eaters. Fishes are cooked slowly in soups and stews or quickly deep fried.)
- Eel noodles on Minzu street of Tainan. This is an example of Japanese inspired Taiwanese cuisine.
- 棺材面包 Coffin bread. Tainan specialty. It is a fried piece of toast stuffed with savoury seafood and vegetable chowder.
- Fish Chin Soup. Mixed with medley of vegetables, broth is glutinous. An example of a fish dish of Taiwanese cuisine!!
History: Taiwanese traditional clothing represents the prominent features of each tribe. It symbolises culture ideas and beliefs with vivid colour and diverse styles. Every indigenous tribe has its own unique clothing style and characteristics.
Facts:(An example of a tribe clothing, Rukai) menswear is similar to female garments. Patterns and weaves are alike. The men trousers can be categorised into open seat pants. Women wearing a whole suit were considered elegant and graceful. Figures, lilies and pottery pots are themes of woven on clothes.
Background: Taiwan's population is mostly the Han Chinese who were born in mainland China or ancestors that were from there. They are divided based on dialect of Chinese the speak: Hokkien, Hakka, Mandarin. They have a small population of aborigines who compromise about 2 percent of total population.
- Confucianism: Teachings of Confucius describe the position of the individual in society. Confucianism is a system of behaviours and ethics that stress the obligations of people towards one another based upon their relationship. The basic tenets are based upon 5 different relationships. 1. Ruler and subject 2. Husband and wife 3. Parents and children 4. Brothers and sisters 5. Friend and friend. Confucianism stresses duty, loyalty, honor, filial piety, respect for age and seniority, and sincerity,
- 关系 Most Taiwanese business is conducted among friends and families, Such connections, 关系 are developed with people at your own level or of a higher status in both business and social situations, 关系 open doors, smoothens problems and lead to even more 关系。
Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival. We've learnt during our RV literature lesson that the sky lantern, 孔明灯 was invented by 诸葛亮 during the 3 Kingdoms (this not searched from web one! :).
It is a festival whose sky lanterns carry the prayers and vows of people and by whivh they seek purification of their souls and a festival that advertises the Taiwan spirit to the world. Laterns are lit, slowly rises and flames of prayers dance in the air. Beautiful and magnificent sign=ht transcends cultural barriers so when festival time arrives each year, Pingxi is always overwhelmed with visitors.
No fixed festival date. It was held on March 5~15 this year.
Song-Jiang Battle Array
It is a type of folk street parade. The Song Jiang Array originally organised to strengthen, defend and unite the town under historical, generational and government influence turned into s theatrical drama that combined entertainment for the gods with furtive military training becoming the well known folk art that it is today. It is preformed by mostly primary and middle school children. Preserving and handling down an important folk art schools organise Sing Jiang Battle Array and develop creative approaches to make this traditional formation attractive and foster valuable feelings of friendship while interacting id also at the ore of the Song Jiang Battle Array.